Fly into MGA/ Managua; Augusto C. Sandino International Airport
Book before high season and you can get a good deal on flights. Between end Nov to Mar, flights are more expensive.
Airlines that fly to Nicaragua; United, Delta, Air Transat, Copa, Spirit, Avianca, Aeromexico, American Airlines, British Airways.
Flying from Toronto or Montreal; direct flights to MGA (Managua) with Air Transat from December to March.
Once you arrive to Managua we can arrange transport to get to Salinas Grandes.
Please contact us in advance to help organize your transportation needs.
• $10 Salinas Grandes- One-Way
• $15 HWY 12- One-way
• $20 Leon – One-way (Matt)
• $80 – One-way, airport/Managua (1-4 ppl)
• $120 – One-way, airport/ Managua (4-8 ppl)
Taxi: We have a driver who we exclusively use for all our airport runs. For local runs to and from Leon we can arrange a ride with Ulyses, Pablo or Matt.
Bus: There is also a local bus that you can catch from Salinas Grandes. This is about a 45-60 mins walk on the beach (best during low tide) and will take you to Leon. If you want to go to Managua, take the Salinas bus to the main paved hwy and get off to catch a bus to Managua.
Car Rental:If you are looking to rent a vehicle, we suggest a 4x4. You can rent right from the airport or there are other options in Leon. Please let us know if you need any information.
• We are about 4 hours drive from San Juan Del Sur
• We are about 45 mins from Leon
• We are about 2 hours from Managua
• We are about 3 hours from Granada
• We are about 2.5 hours from Masaya
• We are about 2 hours and 45 mins from Caterina & San Juan de Oriente
You are required to pay $10 USD once you arrive in Nicaragua at the airport
Nicaragua accepts Cordobas or USD. We advise you to exchange your cash once you are in Leon and not at the airport. There are banks and cambios (money exhangers) that you can easily exchange your USD for Cordobas.
There are ATMs at the Managua Airport, but it’s good to bring some cash while travelling. Credit cards are accepted in many place in Managua and Leon, but smaller stores and communities will only accept cash. We accept cash or credit card at the beach via Pay Pal. *** Small processing fee applies when using credit cards.
Extra money is essential. The nearest ATM is an hour away. Be sure to bring smaller fresh bills such as $5’s, $10’s, and $20’s.
Tipping is another reason to bring a little extra money. It is always welcomed to tip tour guides, drivers and the cooking/cleaning staff at the end of the week.
Customary gratuity is 10-15% of your total stay.
*** There is not much opportunity for the people of Salinas Grandes to earn a decent living. Our goal at Salt Escapes is to train and instill skills in all our workers no matter the role. Please consider the impact of tipping even a small amount. Your tips will be combined with the tips from all of the other guests and distributed at the end of your stay. Tipping is not mandatory. Below is a general guideline of tipping amounts:
Kitchen staff $1-2 per meal or $5/stay per guest
Cleaners $2 /day
Guides/drivers $1-2 /hour
Vacation Rental Rates: Choose your beach side vacation rental.
We offer a wide variety of vacation rentals. Our rentals range from $55/ USD per night (Casita Surfin surf cabin - bachelor style 2 people) up to $330/ USD per night (Tres Volcanes Ocean Villa -sleeps 10 people).
We also build all inclusive rates per person. Choose your vacation rental, transportation and any other add-on services. Contact us for pricing.
Remember when packing/ shopping, to grab the essentials. Each home comes with different amenities. Please make sure to check what you need before you arrive at the beach.
We offer a wide variety of vacation home
Nicaragua is a safe country to visit. Like traveling in any country, its important to exercise caution with your valuables. Due to our remote location, there is not much traffic. South of Salinas Grandes, on the beach, walking along the beach you will not bump into many people. Closer to Salinas Grandes the community you will see more people as this is a fisherman’s community. We do not offer safes in the rooms. We have keys for you to lock the doors when you leave and security guards patrolling the area at night. If you feel you need an extra level of comfort for your valuables, we suggest you bring a lock from home to secure your zipper on your luggage.
*** All treatments are offered in roomRachel Llewellyn RMT, FST, Doula/Labour support
• $60 – 1 hour
• $75 – 75 mins
• $90 -90 mins
• $120 – 2 hours
*** All prices are in USD and will vary depending on your departure location as this will change the duration of transportation.
• Turtle sanctuary: During the months of Nov to early Jan, most afternoons around sunset, you can gather on the beach and release baby turtles. This is one incredible experience to be a part of. Donations are welcomed as this is a small locally run and funded project called Tortuga Vivero. Entrance fee: $5 USD/per person (mandatory donation to help support the project.)
• Boat Tour: Take a ride on the ocean or in the estuary and see the beautiful landscape of Nicaragua. Price can vary depending on what tour operator is available. Transportation not included.
• Fishing: Depending on the time of year, fishing is plentiful. You can cast right here on the beach, take a boat ride on the ocean or take a boat ride into the estuary.
Salinas Grandes Beach Day Resort: On-site bar, pool, chairs, umbrella, rancho and rentals. Kayak, boogie boards, SUP boards, and boat ride available. Located near the river mouth also known as La Garita.
• Surfing: We can arrange lessons. This is 2 hours of on land instruction and water time. Private or semi-private lessons available. We can arrange surfboard rentals for you in advance. $15/ day board rental. $30 for 2 hour lessons (1-2 ppl max)
• Salt Factory Tour: Check out Salinsa. This is the Salt Factory located in the small village. Tour the area and see the expansive salt flats. $10/pers
• Horseback riding: Take a ride on the beach $30/pers
• Kayaking in the Juan Venado: Spend the morning or afternoon on a leisurely kayaking tour. Lots of beautiful birds and mangroves to see.
• Volcano hiking or boarding: Hike up the side of Telica or Cerro Negro volcano and see the stunning views this country has to offer. You can also toboggan down the side Cerro Negro. (Pricing will vary depending on tour company).
• Leon City Tour: Leon is the second largest city in Nicaragua, after Managua. León has long been the political and intellectual center of the nation and its National Autonomous University of Nicaragua (UNAN) was founded in 1813, making it the second oldest university in Central America. Walk the streets and get a feel for this vibrant Nicaraguan city. Enjoy the historical elements, walk the market and stop for a delish local lunch.
• Salsa dancing lessons in Leon: El Garaje Estudio private classes are $10 per hour for an individual class, or $15 for a couple.
• Flor de Cana Rum Distillery Tour: Visit the Rum Distillery and sample the award winning rum at Flor de Cana tours
• Community Project: Casa Verde - Take a trip up the coast to Las Penitas and volunteer with a great project. They are working with-in the schools and children to educate the importance of keeping our environment clean. They have implemented a garbage system and are now looking to do recycling in the community. Please ask us how to get involved!
• Community Project: Salinas Bonitas This is a program that has been started right up the beach from us. A fellow Canadian has gotten a project going on a garbage program in Salinas. Please ask us how you can get involved.
Massage/ Fascial Stretch Therapy/ Reiki Treatments:
*** All treatments are offered in room - house calls
• $60 – 1 hour
• $75 – 75 mins
• $90 -90 mins
• $120 – 2 hours